Tuesday, May 25, 2010

WORLD CUP #1 - CROATIA

Aside for taking forever to get there.... some 44 1/2 hours, it was great to finally arrive and get settled in for the tournament.
I had a chance to practice on the unofficial field(which was a hockey field) for 3 days before the official practice day. This gave me the time to get over the flight there and relax into my shooting. I was happy with my shooting for all of the practice days and I was looking forward to getting into the tournament.
Qualification: The tournament started and although I was a little nervous, I had my focus for the tournament for what I wanted to achieve and I set about shooting for those goals. Aside from my first end where I got caught by the wind on one and shot a 7, all other ends in the first 36 arrows were great and I finished with 347 with a 54 start. The second lot of 36 was a little more windier than the first but I tried to be more patient with my shooting to wait for the breaks in wind and execute the shots a bit quicker. I managed a 345 for the second 36 arrows and that gave me a ranking of 11th heading into the eliminations.
Eliminations: I had a goal of at least winning my first round match and to achieve this I wanted to keep my same focus as I had in qualification and shoot the best shots I could. Not only did I win my first match but I won my second match also... I was feeling pretty good at this time and I was disappointed to not progress past the 3rd round. It just so happened that the guy to knock me out went on to win the event. My final placing was equal 9th
I was included into the team event and we won our first match against Sweden but were knocked out by Denmark in the next round. I was happy with my shooting in this event also and in the second round I shot 79 points out of a possible 80 point.

I managed to pick up 5 world cup points due to my 9th placing, hopefully I will get the chance to earn some more points with the other 3 world cups and gain a spot in the world cup final.

No comments:

Post a Comment