Thursday, October 29, 2009

SPEED BUTTON TUNING ON THE BOW STRING-WHAT DO THEY DO?

When I first heard of this, I though... how can this work when normally adding items to your bow string will slow things down not speed them up.....anyway, I was speaking to a Hoyt Engineer at the 2006 World Field Championships and he was telling me that they had done some testing and found that placing 3 brass nocking points at either end of the string at a distance of 2" from where the string leaves the wheel, would increase the bow speed from 6-8fps.
I did some testing with this at 70 meters and found with no speed buttons and hitting the X or close to it and then adding the speed buttons that my arrows started hitting high on the 9/8 line... that is quite a bit of a pick up in speed. I dont know the exact increase in speed as I have no chrono thingy but there was a definite pick up.
So how does it work? well normally when the string in released, it travels forward past the resting position(lets say for example 4") and then the arrow is released... by adding the speed buttons it snaps the string into position quicker and reduces the forward travel(I dont know exactly how much)which gives the extra speed.
I plan on doing more testing soon with the hooter shooter to find the optimum position to get the most out of the bow.

Happy shooting

1 comment:

  1. A bit faster? Waiting to hear how this turns out :D
    - Joseph
    (Getzeye @ AF)

    ReplyDelete