Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Physical weight of the bow and adding weight to the bow... is it good or bad?

I try and look at things in a simple way, the more you add to the bow... the more you have to hold up. For me, Compound shooting is all about how steady I can aim as I like to sit and squeeze off the shot, so I need to be able to sit there for as long as I can until the shot is shot... so the more I have to hold up, the harder it becomes with the more weight I have hanging out there. I have always only shot with a long rod... normally 34" and with no more than 3 weights on the end. Depending on which model bow I am shooting and because of the riser shape and the way the bow will tilt after the shot due to the weight distribution over the wrist it will determine how many weights I use. I find if I am shooting a reflex model bow such as the Hoyt Vantage Elite or Ultra Elite that I will only need two weights at the end of the stabilizer but if its the Hoyt Pro Elite which is a deflex shape riser I will use three weights to help the bow not kick up after the shot but kick forward and then tilt down.
I don't like using a side rod or rods to help keep the bow level as that is what the bubble is for in the scope. Sometimes I find the bow will have a natural cant (tilt to one side) feel about it... so I will just compensate by offsetting the front vertical sight bar.
The other problem these days is the let off that certain wheels have. I believe that when you start shooting with 70%, 75%, 80% or higher that the holding weight is not enough to help cope with the physical weight of the bow. I shoot with the Hoyt Spiral X Cam 1/2 which has the option or either 60% or 55% let off... the Vantage Elite is moderately heavy bow so the extra holding weight of the Spiral X Cam helps make this bow a very steady bow.
The only extra added weight option I have played with recently is what I call the "KEEL", this is a short rod (18") from the bottom limb bolt angled down so it hangs under the wheel. I find it helps out alot in the wind but at this stage is a little too heavy to hold up.... will keep building my strength to help cope with this as I think this option will be a big help in windy conditions.
All I can really say is, work out what you are wanting to achieve before you start adding weight as by adding weight just might cause you more problems with injuries than fixes.
Good shooting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment