Saturday, November 7, 2009

BRACE HEIGHT-TO INCREASE OR NOT?

I was asked at the AusOpen as to why my bow was so loud or noisy?... well over the years I don't believe that I have really had a quiet bow due to that I only shoot with a long rod so the vibration does not all get absorbed... the long rod can only do so much, so I try and reduce more of the vibration by increasing the brace height(reducing the axle to axle length) from the factory setting. By increasing the brace height(reducing AtA) I am making sure that the limbs are working a little harder and don't have a lot of movement when at rest..... you can test this by grabing your center serving tightly and try and move it up and down, if there is a lot of movement then you may need to work on the brace height/AtA... if there is little to no movement, then it should be fine.
I normally increase the brace height by 1/8" to 1/4" from the factory setting and that does the trick. With majority of bows these days though it might be better to take the AtA length and just reduce that as the limbs are lying flatter so this means they wont be able to extend back to you to increase the brace height but you will be able to see the AtA shorten.
It is quite easy to adjust, all you need to do is shorten the length of your string and cables by 1/4" to 3/4".... what other effects does it have on the bow? you will increase the holding weight of the bow, somewhere between 2-10 pounds depending on how much you shorten the string and cables by.
So anyway, to get back to the original question... the reason my bow was a little noisy at the AusOpen was that I had not at this stage had time to play with reducing the AtA. I have this week made up a new string and cables and they are 3/4" shorter than factory length and now looking forward to having a play and not wearing ear plugs.

1 comment:

  1. Wearing dark-colored shirts with matching colored pants will present a more elongated look, particularly when paired with a pair of shoes in the same color. Go easy on accessories such as necklaces or flashy belt buckles. shoe lifts for men

    ReplyDelete